We are reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Having a clean home is rewarding and worthwhile. Are you new to a home and looking to get it in tip-top shape? Or are you ready to do a big deep clean of a clutter space? There are so many methods out there for how to clean your house, and each person and home is unique in their needs. Whatever your situation, we have you covered.
While cleaning your house from top to bottom requires hard work and dedication, you’ll be so happy you made the jump when all is said is done. There are methods of house cleaning that can make things easier on you and your family while also making your house consistently cleaner over time.
Here’s how you can clean your house from top to bottom.
In this guide:
- How to Clean Your Kitchen
- How to Clean Your Bathroom
- How to Clean Your Bedroom
- How to Clean Your Living Room
The Fastest Way to Clean Your House
You may not have heard of the 20/10 rule, but you may have used it a time or two before without even realizing it.
The 20/10 rule is about cleaning for 20 minutes followed by a 10-minute break to rest or do something else, then repeating that process until your whole home is clean. While you don’t need to use the exact time frame offered, it can be a good jumping-off point to get your cleaning done.
Moreover, while this rule works well for decluttering, it can also work for deeper cleaning tasks too. Even if you don’t stick to this rule exactly, the concept can sometimes help you create a system for cleaning your home.
On one hand, people like to clean “marathon-style” by attacking task after task all day long until they’re tired and worn out. However, the 20/10 rule offers a slightly different approach — one that works to keep momentum going so you can finish tasks easier and more efficiently.
Deep-Cleaning Your Home by Room
When it comes to the deep-cleaning aspect, it makes sense to go room by room. Specifically, going from top to bottom and left to right in any room can help put you on track to finish every task efficiently.
When you’re going room by room, there are definitely a few steps you need to pay attention to in each one to get a full, deep clean. Here’s what you need to do.
1. How to Clean Your Kitchen
Here are the steps you need to clean your kitchen:
- First, declutter the countertops.
- Second, wash and put away any remaining dishes.
- Third, clean appliances like the stove and the oven.
- Fourth, clean small appliances like your coffee maker on a scheduled basis.
- Fifth, clean the exterior of your appliances.
- Sixth, deep-clean the sink.
- Seventh, wipe down the countertops.
- Eighth, sweep and mop the floors.
- Finally, take out any trash.
More articles on kitchen cleaning techniques:
- How to Clean an Oven Inside & Out
- How to Deep Clean Your Refrigerator
- How to Clean a Microwave Safely
2. How to Clean Your Bathroom
Here are the steps you need to clean your bathroom:
- First, declutter the countertops and anything in the shower.
- Second, clean the sink and countertops.
- Third, clean the toilet.
- Fourth, clean the bathtub and shower, including the tile grout.
- Finally, mop the floors.
More articles on bathroom cleaning techniques:
3. How to Clean Your Bedroom
Here are all the steps you need to clean your bedroom:
- First, do a big decluttering sweep.
- Then, take out any trash.
- Next, do any laundry necessary.
- Fourth, put away clean clothes.
- Fifth, strip and make the bed.
- Sixth, dust flat surfaces, light fixtures, fans, and curtains.
- Seventh, wipe down windows and mirrors.
- Lastly, clean the floors.
4. How to Clean Your Living Room
When it comes to your living room, you’ll likely follow many of the same rules as the bedroom. In addition, here are a few more steps you can take to clean up the space:
- First, dust and wipe down any entertainment systems such as TV stands.
- Then, clean the couch and other soft furniture.
- Next, fluff any throw pillows and wash any blankets.
- Finally, collect any stray cups and plates left around.
How to Keep Your House Clean Over Time
Suppose you’ve successfully gotten your house clean. What about helping it stay clean long-term? Even if you don’t mind the deep-cleaning process, you probably don’t want to keep cleaning and re-cleaning your home all the time.
Luckily, there are ways to stay on top of your cleaning regimen. Here are some of the best ways to keep your home consistently clean.
1. Declutter Regularly
One thing you’ve likely noticed in many of these lists is the emphasis on decluttering. This is not only true for keeping things neat and tidy on the surface, but also to prevent dust and other buildup in the many rooms of your house.
With that being said, you can keep your space tidy by consistently decluttering. By doing so, you can avoid it getting out of hand. Staying organized with tools like drawer dividers and hampers can help you keep up with this.
2. Clean as You Go
While doing a big deep-clean every once in a while is a great way to give your home a reset, it can be difficult to find the time to clean everything so intensively.
That’s why cleaning as you go can make things much easier. Doing one room at a time can help you keep up with your cleaning so you can have a tidy house all the time.
3. Know Your High-Traffic Areas
One of the beauties of cleaning as you go is that you can devote focus where focus is needed. Obviously, certain areas of your home will need more attention than others. Additionally, when you clean as you go, you can spend a bit more time on your high-traffic areas and return to them as frequently as you need to.
How to Clean Your House (And Keep it That Way)
All in all, when it comes to cleaning your home, it can sometimes feel like an overwhelming process. But no matter where you get started, you can create the clean, tidy, and positive environment that you need your home to be. What’s your favorite thing to clean in your home?