We are reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Each state in the U.S. offers intriguing and unique places to visit and explore. There are many hidden gems that tourists may not be aware of when traveling. Let’s explore a few of these fantastic places to visit so you can add them to your travel plans or bucket list!
Hidden Gems Off the Beaten Path
Here are a few hidden gems that you might want to consider exploring. They are their state’s best-kept secrets and are worthy of a pit-stop or planned adventure.
Mountain Home, Arkansas
Mountain Home, Arkansas, is located in the heart of the Ozarks. The town is nestled between two lakes, Bull Shoals and Norfork, perfect for boating, swimming and all of your outdoor adventures. There are also three rivers, the Buffalo, North Fork and the White, about the same distance away in separate directions with captivating views.
Silver Sands State Park in Milford, Connecticut, is a lovely retreat from the rest of the state’s well-known cities and tourist attractions like New Haven and Hartford. Milford offers a more natural setting, complete with boardwalks and beaches. If the tide is low, you can also venture out to Charles Island and experience that. New Haven is only 25 miles away, so travelers can still experience its unique food offerings like Connecticut-style white clam pizza.
Monkton, Maryland, is the home of Ladew Topiary Gardens, which houses 22 acres of nonprofit gardens established in the 1930s. These gardens are open seasonally every year from April to October. Ladew Topiary Gardens provides over 100 topiaries with a mile-long nature walk and a native butterfly house. Ladew also offers over 100 educational programs and special events each year.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Colorado Springs has activities for everyone to enjoy during every season. Pike’s Peak, America’s Mountain, offers 14,115 feet of pure, majestic beauty that you can experience in multiple ways. You can drive your car up the mountain, take a guided tour or ride the train. You could also plan a hike or ride your bike. If you want to take a tour, you must make reservations ahead of time, but if you plan to drive, bike or hike, you can explore at your convenience.
Uranus is a small town along US Route 66 in Missouri. You can visit this little gem as the perfect pit stop for fun-filled activities and attractions. Uranus is the ideal place to visit if you have a sense of humor, as there are puns everywhere you look. Some fun attractions you could experience at Uranus include Moonicorn Creamery, The Axehole, Escape Uranus and the Uranus Fudge Factory.
Places To Visit in Each State
Here is a list of some fun places that are unique to visit in each state!
- Huntsville, Alabama- U.S. Space Rocket Center
- Fairbanks, Alaska- Northern Lights
- Phoenix, Arizona- Musical Instrument Museum
- Hot Springs, Arkansas- Hot Springs National Park
- San Jose, California- Winchester Mystery House
- Denver, Colorado- Denver Botanical Gardens
- Hartford, Connecticut- Mark Twain House and Museum
- Milton, Deleware- Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge
- St. Petersburg, Florida -Salvador Dali Museum
- Savannah, Georgia- Savannah Historic District
- Hakalau, Hawaii- Umauma Falls
- Boise, Idaho- Botanical Garden
- Chicago, Illinois- Museum of Science and Industry
- Bedford, Indiana- Bluespring Caverns
- Amana, Iowa- Amana Colonies
- Wamego, Kansas- Oz Museum
- Louisville, Kentucky- Louisville Mega Caverns
- Lake Charles, Louisiana- Mardi Gras Museum
- Kennebunkport, Maine -Goat Island Lighthouse
- Baltimore, Maryland -American Visionary Art Museum
- Salem, Massachusetts- Peabody Essex Museum
- Mackinac Island, Michigan- Mackinac Island
- Preston, Minnesota- Mystery Cave State Park
- Biloxi, Mississippi- Jefferson Davis Presidential Museum
- Branson, Missouri- Titanic Museum
- Bozeman, Montana- Museum of the Rockies
- Lincoln, Nebraska- Sunken Gardens
- Las Vegas, Nevada- Ethel M Chocolate Factory
- Portsmouth, New Hampshire- Pierce Island
- Atlantic City, New Jersey- Atlantic City Boardwalk
- Santa Fe, New Mexico- New Mexico History Museum
- Ausable Chasm, New York- Ausable Chasm
- Raleigh, North Carolina- Museum of Natural Sciences
- Minot, North Dakota- Scandinavian Heritage Park
- Columbus, Ohio- The German Village
- Sulphur, Oklahoma- Chickasaw Cultural Center
- Portland, Oregon- The Witch’s Castle
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania- Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site
- Bristol, Rhode Island- Musee Patamecanique
- Currituck Sand, South Carolina- Morgan Island
- Hot Springs, South Dakota- The Mammoth Site
- Adams, Tennesse- The Bell Witch Cave
- Austin, Texas- Congress Avenue Bridge Bats
- Vernal, Utah- Fantasy Canyon
- Burlington, Vermont- Lake Champlain
- Mechanicsville, Virginia- The Ghost Church
- Leavenworth, Washington- The Nutcracker Museum
- Berkely Springs, West Virginia- Berkeley Springs Castle
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin- Henry Maier Festival Park
- Jackson, Wyoming- Granite Hot Springs
Plan a trip to explore one of these places today! They’re waiting for you!