We are reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Your kitchen is the heart of your home, where family gets together to share a meal and enjoy each other’s company. You want it to feel warm and inviting since you spend the majority of your time there. Kitchen makeovers are a great way to update your cooking space and make it better work for your needs. It may seem like a costly project initially, but there are ways to renovate on a budget.
Things to Consider Before Starting Kitchen Makeovers
Before you dive into your kitchen makeover, make sure it is the right time to start this project. Here are some questions to ask yourself about your current kitchen setup:
- Do you have an adequate amount of space?: You want to feel like you have enough room to cook and store your supplies without feeling cramped.
- How is the traffic flow?: You want to have enough space for multiple people to walk around without feeling crowded.
- Do you have children?: You may want to update your kitchen to keep younger children safe by keeping certain appliances out of their reach.
- Is your kitchen accessible to everyone? Your cooking space should be accommodating for those with disabilities or the elderly.
How to Renovate Your Kitchen on a Budget
Kitchen makeovers can make your life more convenient and efficient. Here are some design ideas to save you money.
Stick to Your Current Layout
If you already like your current setup, consider leaving it alone. Moving cabinetry, walls or electrical plumbing can increase your expenses. If you keep them where they are, you can save money on hiring a contractor. Features can be updated, but having them remain in their existing location will conserve your cash in the long run.
Reuse Your Appliances
If your appliances are still in good shape, consider keeping them. This will lower costs and allow you to focus your remodel on specific areas, like countertops or flooring.
Give your kitchen sink a good cleaning and replace the faucet. There are many durable and elegant-looking options to choose from.
Paint Your Walls
Painting is a great way to add some character to your kitchen makeover. If you’re looking for a more upbeat, warmer color, consider red or yellow for your walls. Blue, green, white or gray provides a more calming feel.
Use latex paint for your walls, which is available in a variety of finishes. Consider going glossy since it is easier to clean.
Before you start painting, follow these steps to prepare your space:
- Remove any furniture from the room.
- Wear safety goggles and worn-out clothes.
- Wash the walls with laundry detergent and water.
- Scratch off any flaking or cracked paint with a scraper.
- Protect your walls with painter’s tape.
- Apply paint to the trim and corner of your walls first.
Spruce up Your Cabinets
Consider repainting your cupboards to give them a fresh look instead of buying new ones. Oil-based paints are good to use because they are more durable and have a smoother-looking finish. Look for a high-quality paintbrush for your project.
Another tip is to remove your cabinet doors and replace them with open shelving to provide a more modernized look and increase your storage space.
Add a Functional Backsplash
You want your backsplash to fit with the style of your home and be easy to maintain. Consider repainting your current backsplash to make it appear brand new.
You can also update your back wall with various materials. Tile is a good choice because it is easy to install and clean. Stainless steel is another easy-to-wash option that is long-lasting and heat-resistant. It provides your kitchen with an elegant and modern look.
Add a Range Hood
Range hoods are beautiful and functional appliances for your kitchen. They last for years and you don’t have to break the bank! You have many different options to choose from depending on your kitchen setup: wall hoods, island hoods, inserts, or outdoor hoods. Consider installing a quality under cabinet range hood to give your kitchen a quick upgrade! Along with under cabinet hoods, wall range hoods are one of the most budget-friendly options.
Add Quartz to Your Countertop
This is a popular choice for homeowners because it is stain- and scratch-proof. This is helpful when cleaning up any food spills or hiding utensil marks. Quartz is also an environmentally friendly option since 90% of its base materials are waste by-products of other manufacturing processes.
Replace Your Hardwood Floors
Hardwood floors are popular choices for kitchens, although they can scratch and dent more easily. Consider these alternative flooring options for your kitchen makeover:
- Porcelain or ceramic tile: This option is cheaper than hardwood or stone and is easy to clean, durable and moisture-resistant.
- Cork: Cork is similar to the cost of wood but is easy to maintain, noise-resistant and soft underneath your feet.
- Vinleyn: This is a more cost-effective option and is waterproof.
- Linoleum: This is a natural alternative to hardwood and is simple to install.
When determining your floor coloring, look for medium shades that hide dirt, stains and scratches.
Kitchen Remodel Ideas to Make Your Home Shine
Kitchen makeovers are great ways to add value to your home and make it a more enjoyable space. These upgrades can be cost-efficient if you make a budget and plan ahead. Consider keeping your same layout and appliances, making minor updates and spending money on larger areas.
With these updates, you can enjoy quality family time while staying within your spending plan.