We are reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Your blinds provide you with a sense of privacy and style in your home. However, over time, they can start to collect dirt and dust. This is why you need to clean your blinds regularly to keep them looking brand-new.
If you want to know the best way to clean your blinds, follow these simple steps.
7 Steps to Effectively Clean Your Blinds
You should wash your window coverings every six months or so to get rid of any built-up dust and grime. However, this process doesn’t have to feel like a chore. Here’s the best way to clean your blinds.
1. Gather Your Materials
Before you start cleaning your shades, you need to get your supplies together. Here is a list of materials you will need:
- Vacuum with a soft brush attachment
- Microfiber cloth
- Dishwasher liquid
- Warm water
- Baking soda
Consider using one of the top vacuum cleaners of 2021 to find one that’s versatile and that comes with a dusting brush and other accessories you need.
2. Close Your Blinds
Once you have your materials in hand, fully lower the curtains. If you have wooden blinds, they can be completely closed, but vinyl or aluminum blinds should be partially open and angled down.
Depending on what type of blind you have, you will either twist a pole on the side, pull on a cord, or slide back the material to close them. Some of the different types of blinds include panel blinds, venetian, and vertical blinds.
3. Dust Your Shades
If you have vertical blinds, hold the end of the screen in one hand to keep it stable. Then wipe it down with the microfiber cloth. Be sure to start at the top and work your way to the bottom to ensure your blinds don’t become unhooked. This also makes certain dust doesn’t get on areas you already cleaned.
Then use your vacuum’s brush attachment to get rid of any dust. For vertical blinds, work from side to side and follow the same process.
4. Turn Over the Blinds and Repeat
After you have completed one side, turn them over and follow the same procedure. When using your microfiber rag, make sure it’s only slightly damp to prevent solution stains. Consider using a soft fabric to absorb dust and minimize the number of scratches. For hard surfaces, use a flatweave cloth.
5. Use a Damp Fabric for Tougher Stains
If a light dusting still leaves your blinds looking unpolished, consider using a damp material instead. Wet your microfiber cloth with warm water for a more precise clean. If you have wood blinds, make sure to use minimal amounts of water to keep them protected.
6. Perform a Deeper Clean
Blinds in a higher-traffic area, such as kitchens, are often more exposed to dust and residue. Your kitchen is a more humid area, which means moisture can trap dust that sticks to the surface of your slats. Over time, this can cause your blinds to appear duller. This is why you need to wash them more thoroughly.
To clean them:
- Remove your blinds from the window and put them in a bathtub filled with warm water, dish soap, and baking soda.
- Let your curtains soak in the tub for about an hour, and then rinse with warm water.
- Once dry, wipe away any excess dirt or dust.
When purchasing your dish soap, consider going for a more eco-friendly product for the planet’ sake and your family’s. Here are two organic items that received the nod of approval from medical doctors:
- Better Life grease-kicking dish soap
- Eco-Me dish soap
7. Vacuum Away Excess Dust
After you use a damp cloth, open up your blinds so they can air-dry. Take time to vacuum away any extra dust collected on the windowsill or floor. This will free up space later in your day to relax and unwind.
Best Websites for Blind Reviews
To make your cleaning experience more enjoyable, you want to have the right blinds for your home to begin with. When purchasing blinds, consider these websites:
- Blinds.com: This site has a wide range of products with a customer-friendly website. All products came with a standard warranty.
- American Blinds: It offers various blinds from different brands and allows you to browse by categories, materials, or features. The site also helps consumers find insured and pre-screened professionals.
- Just Blinds: This site allows for more convenience with blinds from one specific brand and any easy-to-use website. Customers can also choose between a standard warranty or a deluxe option, which adds design assurances and measurement protection.
- Blinds Express: They provide cost-effective options from a variety of brands. They also offer a price-match guarantee.
- Blinds Galore: Blinds Galore is the best choice for shipping costs since it provides free shipping for all products. They also offer a three-year warranty on their items.
Tips for Maintaining Your Blinds
As time goes on, your blinds can accumulate grime. Thankfully, cleaning them is easy if you have the right materials on hand. Now that you know the best way to clean your blinds, consider adding these steps to your weekly or monthly maintenance routine for an even more spotless home.